EP PerMed: Towards a European Partnership in Personalised Medicine
The European Partnership for Personalised Medicine (EP PerMed) has been proposed in the framework of the EU’s 9th Framework Programme for Research and Innovation, Horizon Europe. Its aim is to align and promote regional and national priority setting and funding for research and implementation projects in the field of personalised medicine among the EU Member States, regions and associated countries as well as international partner countries.
European Partnerships will in Horizon Europe replace previous forms of partnerships, e.g. ERA-Nets or JPIs. Their general aim is to bring the European Commission and private and/or public partners together to address some of Europe’s most pressing challenges through concerted research and innovation initiatives. Identifying European Partnerships is an integral part of Horizon Europe’s strategic planning process. Under Horizon Europe partnerships are expected to establish formal and regular collaboration with other relevant research and innovation initiatives.
Over the last years, a great progress has been achieved in the field of personalised medicine by a large number of international, pan-European, national as well as regional activities and initiatives, including ERA PerMed. But to further develop and foster promising personalised medicine approaches, there is a need of an even closer collaboration and effort which could be achieved by such a European Partnership for Personalised Medicine under Horizon Europe.
ERA PerMed promotes the establishment of this European Partnership together with the closely connected to ICPerMed.
So far, the following steps that have been done in preparation of this new initiative are:
- February 2022: Draft proposal “European Partnership on Personalised Medicine”
- May 2021: EP PerMed Information Day, jointly organised by ICPerMed and ERA PerMed
- May 2021: Guidance Document
- May 2021: Information Sheets
- February 2021: Draft Concept Paper
The next important steps in 2022 in preparation of EP PerMed will be:
- Indicative budget request of the Member States for their contribution to the EP PerMed, expected latest for April 2022.
- The development of a Personalised Medicine Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (PM SRIA) in the course of 2022.
- The publication of the call for the co-funded European Partnership for Personalised Medicine end of 2022.
The EP PerMed proposal submission will take place in 2023 and the partnership is supposed to be launched by the end of 2023.